Байша The Baixa which means “downtown” is delimited by a hill on each side : Chiado and Bairro Alto on one side and the Castelo hill on the other side. Until the end of the XIXth century, the city was entirely dedicated to the trade business with the Indies. Any ship coming from the colonies would dock at Terreiro do Paço. It is in this same area that king D. Manuel ordered his Palace to be built in the XVIth century. But in 1755, an earthquake destroyed entirely this part of the city and it had to be reconstructed, following this time a geometric grid design for streets and squares. Trade activity always took place in the Praça do Comercio under the arcades, by the Tagus river bank, but nowadays it gave place to Ministries. From the square start several shopping streets, like the rua Augusta, a very busy pedestrian street with cafes and stores. The Baixa area stretches until Rossio, the most central square of the city, famous for its cafés, like café “Nicola” or the pastry “Suiça”, but also for its train station, a beautiful monumental building with a superb typical façade of Manuelin style, where all trains leave to Sintra.