San Babila The San Babila district, as it currently appears, arises from important transformations of Milano dating between the fascist era, before the second world war, and the post-war reconstruction of the 50’s and 60’s. Its westernmost part, with a regular grid of roads and wide tree-lined avenues, arose from the piani urbanistici/town-planning projects of the period between the 19th and 20th centuries that drove the city expansion at the time.Well-know showrooms of interior design are to be found around the Fascist San Babila square, in particular: Via Durini, Corso Monforte and Porta Vittoria. Not far from here is another example of Fascist architecture, the impressive Courthouse (“Palazzo di Giustizia”). Behind the palace rise the complexes of Rotonda Besana, of Umanitaria and of Santa Maria della Pace.At the end of Corso di Porta Vittoria, towards east, opens Cinque Giornate square with its monument in memory of the five days of battles in 1848 to free Milan from the Austrians. North-east of the square, around Piazza Tricolore and Piazza Risorgimento, one can find elegant streets denoting a simple yet wealthy neighbourhood, dotted with interesting shops, cafés and restaurants.Closer to Giardini Pubblici, there are magnificent buildings, some of the most extraordinary examples of early 20th century architecture. Near via Mozart and via Serbelloni are Villa Necchi Campiglio, by P.Portaluppi and the Sola-Busca house, with sculptures by Adolfo Wildt.