HOW TO BOOK - 4 EASY STEPS
For further infromation please don't hesitate to contact us at:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: (+34) 932 688 051
- Fax: (+34) 932 688 052
STEP 1. REQUEST AVAILABILITY AND CONFIRMATION
You can use our search tool located at the top of the page so as to choose the apartment suiting your needs, check the availability in our calendars, select arrival date and departure date, the number of people travelling and any special requirement you may have. Our system will quote you a price and take you to the book online form. We also have an advance search engine so that you can add extra specifications to your search.
STEP 2. BOOKING INFORMATION
You will need to complete a booking form on-line with your personal information. To process the booking, we will ask you to send the following information.
- - Full name and passport number.
- - Your full address and telephone number.
- - Your credit card details.
- Form of transport and your time of arrival
Once we receive your personal data, we will confirm your booking as soon as possible with a maximum of 24 hours. Remember that there is a 3 night minimum in all of our apartments.
STEP 3. PAYMENT
When reserving the apartment on-line the system will ask for a 25% reservation deposit. If you choose make the deposit payment via credit card this can be done through the secure server site. Another option for credit card payment is via fax; simply print our credit card authorization form (found on our website) fill in and send via fax to the following no. (+34) 93 268 80 52. Once we receive the Credit Card authorization form we will send you a booking confirmation email together with arrival and departure information and our house rules. A final payment option is to call us with your credit card details and we can take payment over the phone.
The advance 25% payment is necessary to complete your reservation. The remaining part of the payment 75% must be paid in CASH upon arrival. Remember NO CASH NO CHECK-IN. Important Note: Your reservation will only be FULLY EFFECTIVE when we receive via fax, e-mail, or phone your Credit Card details for the 25% booking deposit and you have received a confirmation of your booking via e-mail from Friendly Rentals.
Please note that the 25% reservation deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable. For fully paid reservations please see our cancellation policy in the Terms and Conditions section.
STEP 4. TERMS AND CONDITIONS
We strongly urge you to carefully read all of terms and conditions applying to your stay with us, read terms and conditions.