For further information please don't hesitate to contact us at:
Tel: (+34) 932 688 051
Fax: (+34) 932 688 052
Granada is one of the cities with major tourist attractions in the world. It has a great wealth of monuments in town, starting with the Alhambra, which is with no doubt the highlight of the city and one of the most visited monument in Spain.
Granada is the capital of the province bearing the same name. It is situated at the foot of Sierra Nevada, in the Betic System, the highest in the Iberian Peninsula. Located in eastern Andalusia, southern Spain, Granada hosts one of the largest cultural heritage in the country. In addition to the world famous Alhambra and the Albayzin quarter, designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO, Granada has also a Renaissance cathedral dating the sixteenth century. Many other historical monuments dot the city in each of its corners.
The Alhambra Palace is the most beautiful and best preserved from all Moorish monuments throughout the world. In reality it is a monument composed of a palace, a fortress complex and its gardens, built in the 13th and 14th centuries by Nazari Kings. It blends artistically and wonderfully the light, water and Islamic architectural decoration.
From November to February from 8.30 to 18 h. Evenings on Friday and Saturday from 20 to 21.30
From March to October from 8.30 to 20.00 h.Evenings everyday, except sunday and monday from 22.00 to 23.30
Tickets to the Alhambra are limited to 5,100 per day
Bookings: (+34) 902 224 460
Murrallas Del Albayzin (Albayzin Walls):
Palace Dar al-Horra , Callejon de las Monjas s / n.
It rose in the second half of the fourteenth century in order to protect the neighborhoods located in the Cerro San Cristobal, Albaycín and Albarda. It ran from the Gate de Guadix ,end of the actual Paseo de los Tristes, passing through San Miguel Alto, Fajalauza Gate, Postigo de San Lorenzo or Elvira Gate. The Postigo de San Lorenzo or Albaicin Gate went missing until it was rediscovered in 1983 buried in rubble.
Situated in the heart of Granada and with an entrance on the Gran Via, is considered the first Renaissance church in Spain.Foundations for the church were laid by the architect Egas starting from 1518 to 1523 atop the site of the city's main mosque; by 1529, Egas was replaced by Diego de Siloe who changed the original plans for Renaissance style.
The Cathedral, with five naves with transept aisle, is initially conceived as a Gothic project by Egas. The next works done by Diego de Silo, from 1563, will make him one of the greatest examples of purism Renaissance in Spain . He emphasizes the Mayor Chapel, the most important place of the temple, not only for its vastness but the perseverance of Renaissance ideas present in the centralized plan, the splendid dome and the large transverse arch as a triumphal arch which would have been a monumental entrance to the tomb of the emperor.
Palace de La Madraza:
The Madraza Palace is situated opposite the Royal Chapel of the Catedral.It is also known as "The Old Town Hal"l and "Yusuf I University".
It was a center of theological and science studies, and still has the mihrab of the mosque classroom. The 20th of September of 1500, the Catholic kings organized the Cabildo (Town Hall), establishing its headquarters in this building. Charles V introduced a series of transformations in the internal organization of the council during his stay in Granada.
It is a building of Baroque style developed around a courtyard with Tuscan columns made of marble brought from Sierra Elvira.
The Gate of Fajalauza, also known as "Gate of the land of the almond trees", divides the Albayzin quarter from the Haza Grande one. It has a long corridor covered by a pointed vault.
Formerly, the outer quarter was the district of the potters which was located on the road to Guadix. It is thought that there originally was a bent in its shape like the Pesas gate, nowadays we still have the long corridor.
Monasterio de la Cartuja:
It is located at a large piece of orchards land that was donated by the “Great Captain” for the Foundation of a convent of the “Carthusian” Order, which was partly destroyed after the Freeing from mortmain. The next rooms, with a Gothic structure: the Refectory, the “Profundis” room, Chapters of Monks and Lays, are distributed around the vaulted and peristyled small cloister (courtyard surrounded by columns). Stands out the Refectory, decorated by “Fr. Juan Sánchez Cotán” with big mannerist canvases and the magnificent trompe-l’oeil of the cross. The church, perfect example of the Andalusian Baroque, has one single nave with the choir at the foot. Behind the tabernacle is the Sacrarium with an astonishing plaster and polychromatic decoration. On the left we find the Sacristy, made with an impressive marquetry and carved plaster, the same as the Sacrarium.
The Sacromonte Abbey:
Founded in the seventeenth century. Beneath the church are the catacombs, where San Cecilio suffered martyrdom , first bishop and patron saint of Granada today.
The highlight of this temple, along the River Darro, drawn by John Maeda and completed in 1567, are the extraordinary Mudejar coffered ceilings of the central nave, the transept and the Mayor Chapel and also the Renaissance ceiling of the first ten chapels, all made by Juan Vilchez. The cover, done by Pedro Orea, is a magnificent specimen of the Andalusian Renaissance of the late XVI.
For the cultural agenda of events and spectacles in Granada, do not miss: